Security Tab Missing From Specific File Extensions (i.e. ".url"
I have Windows 2003 Domain Member server with SP2 and all current security updates up to 03 september 2011 Today an "unzip" action copied a few files in a folder that I cannot delete/modify or set security settings. For those two files only the security tab is not present. The files are in a folder called "2007" which has the normal security tab and security inheritance is enabled and I can access this folder and all other files normally. I have administrative rights and all permissions on this folder. However I cannot take ownership of the two url files (called "www.belastingdienst.nl" and "www.toeslagen.nl") and when looking at their properties their (and only their!) security tab is missing. So all other files in this folder are accessible as expected, with a Security Tab present. Another strange thing that I noticed with a command prompt is, that an extra file extension called ".url" is appended to the two abnormal files. This "extra" extension is invisible for Windows Explorer, although the folder option "Hide file extensions for known file types" is switched off!! Eventually the full names of the files appear to be: www.belastingdienst.nl.url and www.toeslagen.nl.url. I suspect this extra extension has something to do with it, but so far I have found no solution. I am about to reboot the host, but I find this no acceptible solution should it work. It's crazy if you have to reboot a server hosting 3 virtual machines whenever you want to delete a file like this (that is the eventual goal)
September 3rd, 2011 11:50am

Hi, If your purpose is to delete the files, please try the suggestions on this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-files/deleting-a-file/8de5e8d9-7bc5-4718-96ec-aa2e21fa914a Meanwhile, please update the definitions of the antivirus program and perform a full scan. Regards, Bruce
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 15th, 2011 8:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics